Lime, tequila, cumin and turkey breasts grilled on the BBQ … just by reading the list of ingredients, we already know that this recipe will be delicious!
And to top it off, we serve these turkey kabobs with a delicious cilantro and herbs spicy sauce.
This recipe, inspired by Tex-Mex flavors, is a real feast!
Preparing the marinade
Lime and tequila are the main attraction of this event. This duo is always a hit, in recipe as well as cocktails.
Garlic, cumin and salt are also added in order to get a mix that pairs perfectly with the flavors of turkey.
All you need to do is mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl before adding the diced turkey and onions. You then put everything in the fridge for about two hours.
It’s important not to marinate the meat too much, to prevent the lime juice from “cooking” the meat, but you still want to give the marinade time to work its magic with the turkey.
Which turkey part should I choose for this recipe?
To make the kabobs, I use boneless and skinless turkey breast. It’s a very soft and lean cut that is easy to work with.
You could also use turkey breast fillets or boneless thighs to make this recipe.
Tips for making turkey kabobs
Turkey cubes: Cut the turkey breast into 1 ½ inch cubes. You can make the cubes a little smaller or bigger depending on your preference.
The main thing is to have cubes of similar size for even cooking.
Which skewers should you use? If you are using wooden picks, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before preparing the kabobs.
Otherwise, I find it best to use metal skewers like these ones that you can find on Amazon*.
Preparing the herbs and cilantro sauce
This herb sauce is very easy to prepare. All you need to do is to finely chop the herbs and ingredients before adding olive oil.
You can also use a food processor to chop the herbs, which will give you a finer texture.
How spicy do you like it? I prefer to remove the seeds from the jalapeño pepper to have a milder sauce, but you’re free to leave them in if you want a spicier sauce.
You should also let the sauce rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, to allow the flavors of the sauce to develop.
What to serve with these kabobs?
There is a lot of options ! You can serve these turkey kabobs with rice, salad or grilled vegetables.
You could also serve them with corn tortillas, lettuce and pico de gallo to turn these kabobs into a taco meal! It’s also a great option if you have leftovers for next day’s meal.
More recipe with turkey:
- BBQ Grilled Turkey Thighs Cajun Style
- Grilled Turkey Cutlets with Lemon, Capers and White Wine Sauce
- Kiev Turkey Breast
Lime and Tequila Turkey Kabobs with a Cilantro Sauce
Savory turkey kebabs, marinated in lime and tequila, served with a spicy herb and cilantro sauce.
- 625 g boneless and skinless turkey breast
- 1 red onion
For the marinade
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¼ cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Cilantro and herbs sauce
- 3 cups fresh cilantro finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
To marinate the turkey skewers
- Cut the turkey breast and red onion into 1 ½ inch (4 cm) cubes.
- Put all the ingrédients for the marinade in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the turkey and onion cubes, and coat them well with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
For the herb and coriander sauce
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes to allow the flavours of the sauce to mix well.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium heat. Lightly oil the grill.
- Drain the turkey and discard the marinade.
- Thread the turkey and onion cubes alternatively onto the skewers.
- Grill the turkey skewers for about 8 minutes on each side, flipping them
once. The turkey skewers will be ready when the turkey is no longer pink and the internal temperature, taken with a meat thermometer inserted in one of the turkey cubes, reaches 165°F (74°C).
Serve the turkey skewers with the herb and coriander sauce and grilled vegetables, a salad or rice.