Fruity and fresh, sangria is the drink of summer. Every one claims to have the best recipe but I can assure you this one is as easy as it is delicious and takes only 3 ingredients to make! The best red wine sangria recipe? I truly think so!
It doesn’t matter whether you enjoy it on a terrace, by the pool or to accompany grilled food on the BBQ, sangria is always synonymous with hot and sunny days.
And even while waiting for the warmer days, sangria can be enjoyed year round.
The many recipes of sangria with red wine
There are many variations of sangria recipes.
Basically, it’s a drink made with red wine in which fruit and citrus slices are steeped.
You then supplement with sparkling water or a sparkling drink.
There are now versions made from white or rosé wine, port, with or without spirits and even with cider.
For my part, I prefer sangrias closer to the classic versions with red wine, some fruit and above all, not too sweet.
I love a more present wine taste, one that predominates, with a little sparkling side to it.
A sangria recipe with few ingredients but lots of flavor
Over the years, I have perfected my red wine sangria recipe, which I give you here.
It’s a simple recipe, requires few ingredients, but is soooo delicious!
It only contains 3 ingredients and a ton of fruit:
- red wine (obviously!)
- Orangina (or another sparkling citrus drink)
- Grand Marnier (or another orange liqueur)
I really like using orangina since it’s not too sweet, has a nice complexity of flavors and brings sparkle to the sangria.
This sangria is at its best if left to macerate for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator, for the flavors to blend well.
Which fruits to choose for sangria?
You can pretty much put any fruit you love in a sangria. I like to add:
- Berries, especially strawberries or raspberries
- Maraschino cherries
- Slices of lime, lemon and orange
- Grapes cut in half
- Starfruit for a little exotic touch
- 1 bottle of red wine (750 ml)
- 2 ¼ cups of Orangina
- 3 ½ ounces of Grand Marnier (or Triple Sec)
A selection of fruits:
- Orange slices
- Lemon slices
- Fresh or frozen fruits strawberries, raspberries, etc.
- Maraschino cherries
- Pour all the ingredients into a large pitcher.
- Mix well.
- Put in the refrigerator and let macerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.