This article is sponsored by les Éleveurs de dindon du Canada.
These turkey thighs, grilled on the BBQ and coated with a Cajun spice blend, are a real treat. Very easy to make, this recipe will delight lovers of spicy and tasty dishes.
The Cajun spice blend is a classic in Louisiana cuisine. It’s in the famous jambalaya, but is also used to season grilled meats.
Both spicy, hot and fragrant, Cajun spices instantly enhance meats, fish and even grilled vegetables.
And this combination of flavors goes particularly well with turkey meat.
The Cajun spice blend, a world of flavors
The Cajun spice blend is usually made with cayenne pepper, thyme, onion, garlic, salt and paprika.
And like all spice blends, there are endless variations. Everyone has their own recipe!
It’s a combination that can be personalized any way you want. In fact, in this recipe, we add a touch of cumin.
A blend that can be prepared in advance
Feel free to double or triple the amounts of Cajun spice blend to keep some in reserve. Simply store the blend in an airtight container and protect it from light.
And the recipe for grilled turkey thighs with Cajun spices will be done even faster next time!
You can also use this blend on grilled vegetables.
Cooking turkey thighs on the BBQ
Turkey thighs are a truly perfect cut of meat for cooking on the BBQ.
Boneless and skinless, they cook fairly quick without becoming dry.
A quick and easy recipe
This recipe is prepared in just a few steps. The longest step is the time required to marinate the thighs.
We start by preparing the spice blend to which we add lemon juice and olive oil.
Coat the turkey thighs well in this blend and allow time to do the rest.
For maximum flavor and tenderness, leave the turkey meat to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, but a standing time of 4 hours or more is ideal.
Then, heat the barbecue and cook the turkey thighs for about 30 minutes on indirect heat.
You can serve the grilled turkey thighs with a salad, vegetable skewers or roasted corn.
Cooking Tip: For successful cooking, make sure you have thighs of even thickness. You can sometimes open them up a little, to flatten them, by slightly cutting the inside as if you wanted a butterfly cut.
More recipe with turkey:
For the turkey thighs:
- 850 g boneless and skinless turkey thighs
- 40 ml lemon juice (the juice of about one lemon)
- 40 ml olive oil
For the Cajun spice blend:
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp thyme
1. In an airtight bag, pour the fresh lemon juice, the olive oil and the Cajun spice blend. Mix well.
2. Add the turkey thighs and coat them well with the marinade.
3. Marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes (up to 12 hours).
4. Preheat the BBQ to 400 °F. When the BBQ reaches its temperature, place the turkey thighs on the grill over indirect heat. Close the BBQ lid.
5. Cook for about 30 minutes, turning the turkey thighs halfway through cooking.
6. The meat is cooked when the pieces are perfectly grilled and the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 °F.
1. Double or triple the Cajun spice blend recipe so you always have some handy. It stays stay fresh for a long time in an airtight container.
2. Serve with a salad, vegetable skewers or roasted corn.