This is a version of the famous Greek salad with a little twist, using halloumi cheese, which will quickly become a favorite this summer on the terrace!
When we think of Greek cuisine, one of the first dishes that comes to mind is the Greek salad alongside spanakopitas, moussakas and souvlakis.
Bursting with colorful vegetables, fresh and flavorful, with oregano, olives, a drizzle of olive oil and feta cheese, it’s no wonder this salad is so popular all over the world !
This dish is obviously a must to order during any trip to Greece and it comes in a thousand and one variations on the menus.
By the way, did you know that Greek salad has a name? We obviously do not order “Greek salad” in Greece but rather horiatiki salata :).
It is sometimes served with peppers, olives, capers or salad leaves.
I even ate it served with dehydrated black olives, it was famous!
But one of my favorites remains the one we were served on the island of Paros with grilled halloumi cheese rather than feta cheese.
The Greek salad recipe that I present here is strongly inspired by it!
The grilled and salty side of the cheese, with its slightly melting texture and firmer exterior, the crunch of the cucumbers, the flavors of oregano, tomatoes and olives make it a real delight!
A salad that can be served as a starter as well as a main course
This salad can be used as a starter or as a main course. For a starter, there are 4 portions, while as a main course, it will be perfect for 2 people.
How to make this Greek salad recipe
What makes the success of this recipe is of course the freshness of the ingredients.
We want nice ripe tomatoes, juicy and crunchy cucumbers, good olives and quality olive oil!
If you want to limit the strength of the red onion, you can soak it for about ten minutes in a small bowl of cold water before adding it to the salad.
And remember, this salad is at its best freshly made!
Enjoy your meal!
- 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, diced
- ½ cup of black olives
- ¼ cup of red onions, cut into thin strips
- 1 package of halloumi cheese (about 200g)
- Olive oil (for cooking the cheese)
For the salad dressing:
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
Cooking the halloumi cheese
- Preheat the barbecue to maximum heat. *
- Cut the cheese into 4 equal parts.
- When the BBQ is ready, oil the grill and grill the cheese slices over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Preparing the salad
- Soak the red onions in a small bowl of cold water to reduce their strength for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the vegetables and add them to a salad bowl.
- Drain the onions and add them to the rest of the vegetables.
- In another bowl, combine the dressing ingredients.
- Pour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the halloumi cheese and serve immediately with pita bread.
* The cheese can also be grilled in a pan.