Looking for a delicious and healthy way to use up the vegetables in your fridge?
This cream-free vegetable soup is the perfect solution for avoiding waste while delighting your taste buds.
The key ingredients of this vegetable potage
The magic of this vegetable soup lies in its simplicity and versatility in terms of ingredients. Here are a few key elements that make up this soup:
- Onions and garlic: The aromatic base of many soups, onions and garlic add a depth of flavor to soup.
- Carrots: Carrots are essential for bringing a beautiful orange color to soup. They also offer a natural sweetness and creamy texture when cooked.
- Potatoes: They give a firmer texture to the soup.
- Spices and broth: Italian spices, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes and chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian option) are other essential ingredients for this soup.
For the rest of the ingredients, it’s a real clean-out the fridge recipe. You can use what you have on hand! Here are a few examples of vegetables you could add to your soup:
The cooking method is simple. Once you’ve sautéed the onions and added the vegetables, pour in the chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
After cooking, you can puree the vegetables in a hand blender or food processor to obtain a smooth texture.
The end result is a healthy and delicious vegetable soup, ideal for warming up in cold weather.
Serve warm with croutons or toast for a comforting and satisfying meal.
Enjoy a healthy and delicious meal!
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 5-6 carrots (depending on size, about 1 1/2 cups in 2 cm slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium potato, roughly cubed and peeled
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (398 ml)
- ½ teaspoon Italian spices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ½ cups chicken stock
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan, then cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and remaining vegetables. Stir in diced tomatoes, Italian spices, salt, pepper and 4 cups chicken broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and place lid on pan. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked through, use a hand blender or food processor
to reduce them to a smooth purée. If the mixture seems too thick, add the extra half-cup of chicken broth to achieve the desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.