Whether it’s a cheese or charcuterie platter, the popularity of appetizer boards continues unabated! And the end of the meal doesn’t escape this trend with dessert boards.
And it is understandable, these boards are always delicious with a festive and friendly side that we love.
Decadent and gourmand, we put in our favorite desserts, chocolates and sweets and it’s done!
Whether it’s Valentine’s Day, a special occasion like Mother’s Day, or a dinner with family and friends, there’s nothing but benefits in ending the meal with a dessert board.
Actually, dessert boards are ideal whether there are two, three or even eight people around the table.
There is something for every taste and for everyone. The sweet tooths are delighted, those who are less hungry can just peck away.
It’s perfect if you want to prolong time at the table, but you can just as easily serve this tray while watching a good movie or eating during a board game.
You’ll see, it’s very simple to make and lends itself to all occasions.
Here’s how to make a dessert board that’s as tasty and delicious for your taste buds as it is for your eyes!
How to make a dessert board?
Basically, making a dessert board is very easy, especially since most (if not all) of the ingredients used are store bought. All that’s left is to put them together!
However, for a successful visual impact and to have a very appetizing platter, here are some tips and tricks to make your dessert board a success.
Please note that there is no unique way to make a dessert board and no wrong way. Don’t be afraid to be creative!
Gather by types of dessert
You can group desserts and foods by category (e.g. chocolates together, cookies together, etc.).
Choose a theme
Depending on the occasion, you can also choose a theme to guide you in the choice of desserts or colors. For example, choose only heart-shaped chocolates, cookies or candies for Valentine’s Day, only chocolate for Easter, pink desserts and candies for Mother’s Day, etc.
Group by colors
By placing all things of the same color together on the board.
Have a central element
To help dress the board, you can place one main item in the center, such as a bowl of chocolate fondue, and arrange the rest of the desserts in a circle around it.
Use small bowls
To group some of the smaller foods, such as M&Ms, candy or mini marshmallows, you can use small bowls. This also adds a little texture and height to the board.
You may want to use the small bowls for juicer cut fruit such as pineapples.
At the very end, fill in the remaining spaces with berries, such as ground cherries or raspberries, jujubes or mini marshmallows. You could also use funfetti or colored sugar beads.
The goal is to have a board overflowing with desserts, filled with color, texture and deliciousness.
Which desserts and ingredients to choose in order to make a beautiful dessert board?
First of all, we start by choosing what will be used as a board.
We can obviously choose a nice wooden board, as one would use to make a cheese or charcuterie board.
If you don’t have one, no problem! A large plate, serving platter or slate will work just fine. It could even be just different bowls and boards placed side by side.
As for the ingredients, you can go with your heart and your taste buds! Ideally, you choose at least 3 or 4 varieties to make the board.
Here are random ideas to inspire you:
- chocolate: assorted chocolates, a chopped up chocolate pallet, Ferrero Rocher, Lindt chocolates, etc. You could also use M&Ms or Smarties;
- macaroons: they come in all colors and sizes;
- pieces of cake, mini-cupcakes, brownies;
- mini marshmallows, white, pink, etc;
- Candies: jujubes, hard candies, cinnamon hearts, licorice, etc;
- fruits for a little color and freshness: raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, ground cherries, cherries, more exotic stuff like starfruit or dragon fruit. Just about any fruit can be used except perhaps those that tend to turn brown, like bananas or apples, for a more successful visual effect;
- strawberries dipped in chocolate;
- a sweet dip: this could be a jar of chocolate fondue, a bowl of Nutella-like chocolate-hazelnut spread or even salted caramel;
- a sweet and salty mix by adding popcorn or pretzels;
- Cream puffs;
- cake pops (stuck in half an orange to make them stick);
- honeycomb toffee cut into pieces;
- Cookies: shortbread, chocolate, wafers or just your favourite.
As you can see, there’s a lot of options for everybody!
Choose from the following options (choose at least 3 or 4 varieties*) :
- Chocolate: a chopped chocolate palette, Ferrero Rocher, Lindt chocolates, M&Ms or Smarties, assorted chocolates
- Cake pieces, mini-cupcakes, brownies
- Mini marshmallows
- Candies: jujubes, hard candies, cinnamon hearts, licorice
- Fruit: raspberries, strawberries, kiwis, starfruit, dragon fruit, ground cherries, french cherries
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- A sweet dip: a jar of chocolate fondue, a bowl of Nutella-type chocolate-hazelnut spread or salted caramel
- A salty touch with popcorn or pretzels
- Cream puffs
- Cake pops
- Honeycomb (sponge) tofee
- Wash and cut fruit as needed
- To make chocolate dipped strawberries, see the recipe here.
- If using a chocolate fondue, heat the chocolate according to the makers directions. Otherwise, pour the sweet dip (spread or caramel) into a bowl.
- Place small ingredients such as marshmallows, candies or mini marshmallows in small bowls.
- Place fondue bowl or sweet dip, small bowls and remaining chosen desserts on a board or serving plate.
- Serve and enjoy!
* For a successful result, plan for at least 3 to 4 different varieties of desserts. The quantities of each ingredient will vary depending on the number of people and your tastes.
** It is important to dry the fruit well before dipping them in the chocolate.
Teak wood serving board Ladelle | Simons *
Ceramic 3-Tier Cake Stand (Silver) | Amazon
BOSKA Choco Marie Chocolate Fondue, 400ml, White | Amazon *
10 Fluid Vibrant Colors Dessert Bowls, Microwave & Dishwasher Safe, Set of 6 | Amazon *
20 Pack Small Hand Shape Silicone Tongs Stainless Steel, 5 Colors | Amazon *
4 Pcs Heart Shaped Platter Bowl Set Serving Tray (multi) | Amazon *
Cupcake Toppers, Funny Pink Heart Glitter, 50 Pcs | Amazon *
7 Stainless Steel Mini Serving Tongs (Multicolor) | Amazon *