A ceviche recipe, made with northern shrimp, lime and cilantro, that can be served as an appetizer or main course.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a perfect starter for people who don’t want to eat raw seafood or fish.
What is a ceviche?
Ceviche is a dish of raw fish or seafood that is “cooked” in lime juice.
Traditionally, in Peru, it is served with sweet potatoes, onions and corn grains
This shrimp ceviche recipe is inspired by the delicious ceviche tasted in Peru.
However, to make it, I use Nordic shrimps which are already cooked.
But don’t worry, despite this little deviation from the classic version, the mixture of coriander, lime and tomatoes is a real treat!
The flavors are somewhat reminiscent of pico de gallo.
This shrimp ceviche recipe is ideal served as an appetizer but also as a main course.
What to serve this shrimp ceviche with? You can serve the ceviche with strips of fried wonton or croutons.
Why use Nordic shrimp?
It may seem strange to use already cooked shrimp for a ceviche recipe.
But the use of Nordic shrimp has the advantage that it will also appeal to people who are less comfortable with the idea of eating raw fish.
And let’s face it, Nordic shrimp is not only tasty, but it’s also a local product!
Note on Nordic shrimp
It is important to add the shrimps to the marinade only at the moment of service.
This will prevent them from overcooking in the lime juice.
However, it is best to prepare the marinade in advance, at least 20 minutes before serving.
This way, the marinade ingredients (except for the shrimp) will have time to macerate together and allow the flavours to develop.
- 400 gr of Nordic shrimps
- 1 French shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 good handful of chopped fresh coriander
- 1 small banana pepper, finely chopped to taste
- 2 limes (juice)
- Salt and pepper
For the marinade
- Mix the chopped shallot, tomato, coriander, chili and lime juice in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
At serving time
- Pat the shrimps dry with paper towels.
- Place the shrimps in the marinade.
- Mix all ingredients well and serve immediately, accompanied by tortilla chips, fried wonton strips or bread.