The Asian-style salad recipe I’m proposing today can be found in several versions in Asian cuisine, wether it’s Cambodian, Thai or Vietnamese.
This lobster salad is fragrant, refreshing and, above all, delicious.
I make it with lobster, especially when it’s lobster season, but you could also make this salad with cooked shrimps or scampi.
Its secret lies in the dressing, a fine balance between sweet, tangy and salty flavors.
Tasted for the first time at a potluck dinner, it was love at first bite. The person who had made it was kind enough to give me the recipe, which I later modified a little since I was not able to find some of the ingredients used in the original version.
About the recipe
Which parts of the lobster should you use for this salad?
It can be made with cooked lobster tails, cut into large pieces, or a whole lobster, cooked and shelled (claws, tails, etc.).
You might also like:
Which vegetables are used in this salad?
The base consists of thinly sliced cucumber strips, red bell pepper, chopped French shallot and lettuce leaves.
Depending on what you have at home, you can also add thin slices of radish or grated or mandolin-sliced carrots.
You can also prepare the vinaigrette a little ahead of time to let it macerate and allow the flavors to develop.
However, the salad ingredients and vinaigrette should be mixed together at the last minute to avoid getting too wet.
For the salad
- 1 English cucumber, very thinly sliced (you can use a peeler or mandolin)
- 1 French shallot, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- A few mint leaves, coarsely chopped by hand (approx. 7 or 8)
- A handful of coarsely chopped coriander leaves, to taste
- One cooked, shelled lobster (a dozen cooked, shelled shrimp can also be used)
For the vinaigrette
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Chopped hot pepper to taste, optional
- A few lettuce leaves
- In a bowl, combine all dressing ingredients.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- The vinaigrette can be made ahead of time (at least 20 minutes to allow the flavours to develop).
- Cook lobster, shell and cut into pieces. (See how to)
- Just before serving, combine all salad ingredients and lobster in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss well.
At serving time
- Arrange a few lettuce leaves in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Place the vegetables, lobster and dressing on top.