If you choose to go for marinated chicken breasts, here’s a recipe that’s as easy to make as it is tasty: chicken breasts marinated in Italian vinaigrette with Dijon mustard.
Easy to make, with ingredients you already have in the fridge, this recipe will quickly become a classic on the BBQ.
And those who fear chicken breasts that are too dry can rest assured; the marinade guarantees tender, juicy chicken breasts every time.
About the recipe
Dijon mustard x Italian dressing, that’s a yes! The tangy, salty notes of the vinaigrette, combined with the spicy character of the Dijon mustard, create a combination that perfectly enhances the flavours of the chicken.
Other ingredients are chicken bouillon concentrate, garlic, lemon zest, oregano and garlic salt.
To prepare the marinade, simply combine the ingredients in an airtight bag or bowl and marinate the chicken.
Be sure to coat the chicken breasts well with the marinade and let the chicken marinate for at least two hours, to maximize flavor potential.
Preparing the chicken breasts
For an even cooking, you can flatten chicken breasts with a meat tenderizing hammer.
Simply place the chicken breasts in a freezer bag or cover with a sheet of parchment paper and tap with a meat hammer to even out the thickness of the breast.
You can also butterfly chicken breasts.
This way, you avoid having one part of the chicken breast overcooked and dry, while the thicker part finishes cooking.
Cooking chicken breasts
Preheat the grill to maximum intensity and oil the grill before placing the chicken breasts on it. Continue cooking at medium intensity with the lid closed.
Depending on the thickness of the chicken breast, allow 5 to 10 minutes cooking time per side. The chicken should release easily from the grill when turned halfway through cooking.
The chicken is cooked when it releases easily from the grill and a meat thermometer indicates an internal temperature of 77°C (170°F).
Feel free to double the recipe for leftovers that are perfect for sandwiches or salads.
Some suggested accompaniments:
- 4 chicken breasts (about 600g)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp. concentrated chicken broth
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest of ½ lemon (organic preferred)
- ¼ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the marinade
- Using a tenderizing hammer, even out the thickness of the chicken breasts. Alternatively, you can also butterfly them.
- Add chicken breasts and coat well with marinade. Let marinate in the refrigerator for about 2 hours (minimum of 30 minutes).
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high
- Place chicken breasts on grill. Close the lid and grill for 8 to 10 minutes per side until the chicken comes away easily from the grill and a meat thermometer indicates an internal temperature of 77°C (170°F).