This recipe of prosciutto wrapped asparagus, with smoked cheddar, is so easy to make and absolutely delicious.
It’s a real delight, and these asparagus can be served as an appetizer or as a side dish with grilled meat or fish.
When asparagus finally arrive on the shelves of grocery stores, it’s the sign that Spring is here to stay.
At home, we often eat them grilled or steamed, but this recipe, with prosciutto and cheese, really puts them in the spotlight.
I love to serve these prosciutto wrapped asparagus as an appetizer, with a small green salad, and I never get tired of making it.
These asparagus rolls can also be a hearty side dish, ideal with fish, seafood or white meat.
How to choose your ingredients
As is often the case with recipes with few ingredients, the choice and quality of the products are essential to maximize the flavours.
Asparagus: choose asparagus with firm and brittle stalks.
Also avoid asparagus with soft, shriveled stalks or yellowed tops.
And for uniform cooking, select asparagus of the same size.
Prosciutto: Here again, select a good prosciutto.
You could also choose a Bayonne or Serrano ham.
The cheese: To make these asparagus rolls, I prefer a tasty cheese.
For this recipe, a smoked cheddar is excellent or a local cheese, Tête à Papineau from the Montebello cheese factory, will also be a perfect choice.
3 easy steps to make these asparagus rolls ahead of time
What’s great about serving this recipe when you are having people over is that you can prepare the asparagus, prosciutto and smoked cheddar rolls ahead of time in three easy steps:
- Prepare the asparagus and form small bundles
- Place the cheese on them
- Wrap them with prosciutto.
Just cook them for about ten minutes when you are ready to serve.
Prosciutto wrapped asparagus with smoked cheddar
3 easy steps to make these oven-baked asparagus rolls with prosciutto and smoked cheddar. You can serve them as an appetizer or a side dish.
- Approximately 24 medium-sized asparagus spears
- 6 slices of prosciutto
- Smoked cheddar (to taste)
- Olive oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In the meantime, wash the asparagus and cut off the stalks to remove the fibrous part. If needed, peel the asparagus with a vegetable peeler.
- On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, place the asparagus and coat with a little olive oil.
- Make bunches of 4 to 5 asparagus, depending on their size. You can also cut them in half if they are too long.
- Place a strip of cheese on each bundle.
- Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each bundle of asparagus and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the prosciutto is grilled and the asparagus is cooked (but still a little crunchy).
Rolls can be served on a bed of salad or arugula drizzled with olive oil and a balsamic vinegar reduction.
Makes about 6 rolls.