This recipe of slow cooked lamb shanks, with lemon and sage, is so easy to make and so delicious.
This recipe requires only a few steps of preparation but delivers a whole meal, tasty and comforting!
A slow cooker can quickly become your best friend in the kitchen.
In winter, it’s perfect to prepare comforting recipes but also during summer, to avoid running the oven for many hours and heating the house.
Once the ingredients are in the slow cooker,you just need to let it do all the work!
The food is slowly cooked for hours before turingin into tasty and comforting dishes.
A few years ago, I was invited to discover the wines of the Southwest and their pairings with slow-cooked dishes, cooked for the occasion by chef Isabelle Deschamps-Plante.
It was at this event that I had the opportunity to taste these lamb shanks with lemon and sage, created by Ricardo Cuisine.
It was so delicious!
About the recipe
The steps of the recipe are very simple.
The lamb shanks are seared beforehand and placed in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. And that’s it!
It’s best to use organic lemons as this recipe uses the peel of the lemon.
If you don’t have an organic lemon, be sure to wash and brush the rind off the fruit.
What can you serve the lamb shanks with?
This recipe goes very well with :
- greens (broccoli, beans, etc.) or root vegetables added to the slow cooker one hour before the end of cooking time;
- mashed potatoes;
- a root vegetable purée;
Why seize the meat?
Searing the meat before putting it in the slow cooker keeps the flavours in the meat.
- 4 lamb shanks (about 400 g each)
- 30 mL olive oil (2 tbsp.)
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 250 mL chicken broth (1 cup)
- 60 mL honey (¼ cup)
- 1 lemon, washed and cut into quarters
- 1 sprig of fresh sage
- 2.5 mL crushed pepper (½ tsp.)
- Fresh parsley leaves to taste
- Salt and pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown shanks in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic cloves and brown lightly.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours. Can be kept on Warm for up to 6 hours.
Can be served with couscous, green vegetables or mashed potatoes.
Use organic lemons as this recipe uses the rind of the lemon. Otherwise, be sure to wash and brush the rind of the fruit.