No matter if you like it sparkling, iced or sweet, there’s a cider for everyone. Since the 1980’s, there’s a true love story between Quebecers and apple cider, a product that is getting better and finer year after year. Apple cider fans have access to a huge variety of products, making it hard to select just one. So what’s better than reuniting them all at the same event to discover them?
That is the goal of the Mondial des cidres SAQ 2017 that will take place from March 3rd to 5th during Montréal en Lumière. And this year, the spokeperson is Chef Jonathan Rassi, a fan of ciders and Quebec products. During the Mondial des Cidres, he will host a number of workshops and tastings in order to make us discover all that cider has to offer. We spoke with him about this event.
« Ciders are exceptional products in Quebec and apple is an integral part of our local cuisine », explains Jonathan Rassi.
You would like to know how to pair ciders and food ? For the occasion, Jonathan Rassi created 5 food and cider pairings based on the caracteristics of his 5 favourite ciders :
- cidre de glace Grande réserve Coteau Rougemont Vignoble et cidrerie
- cidre de feu Les vergers de la colline
- cidre liquoreux vignoble et cidrerie Val Caudalies
- Bulles d’automne of Domaine de Lavoie
- hopped cider from Union Libre
Once those ciders were picked, he started working with his team. « We tasted the ciders and based on their caracteristics, we created the recipes. », he explains. Furthermore, 100% of the products used in these recipes are from Quebec.
During the Mondial, it will be possible to taste two of these recipes at his Gourmet station : the veal gravlax paired with Bulles d’automne du Domaine de Lavoie and the piglet croquette paired with the hopped cider from Union Libre.
His ultimate discovery at this year Mondial des Cidres ? « The hopped cider from Union Libre. Of all the ciders I have tasted, this is the most surprising one. It is a really nice product, with a bit of funkyness», he says.
The Mondial des cidres in a glimpse
A really nice program awaits us:
- the grand tasting of ciders from twenty local cider-makers
- SAQ Espace Cocktail, to discover fabulous cocktails made with cider
- la Nuit Blanche where cocktails and finger food will be served to the beats of a DJ
- Gourmet station Jonathan Rassi with workshops, tastings and cooking classes
- and speed tastings with Sommelier Véronique Lachapelle
The Mondial des cidres SAQ 2017
From March 3 to 5 2017
Tickets and information